Beth Israel Synagogue was started in 1923 by a group of men wishing to purchase a church on 7th Street and Elmer. They purchased said church for $13,000.00 and on December13th the Congregation was officially named "The Beth Israel Congregation" of Vineland, NJ . The years that followed were good for the congregation. It steadily grew and prospered, adding a Hebrew School, a Nursery School and a Library. By 1955 the congregation had grown to an all time high of 539 members requiring the Board to decide to build a new building. Ground was broken for a new building in April of 1957 and finished and dedicated by April of 1958.This is the building we are still in today, many years later.
The Congregation shall strive to meet the religious, spiritual, educational and social needs of a diverse membership within the broad values of Conservative Judaism.
The commitment and participation of all congregants are to be nurtured with the understanding that all contribute value to our community.
We cherish the preservation of Jewish ritual and memory, while stressing those new and innovative expressions of our faith and beliefs.
The congregation shall promote a warm extended family of Judaism within the synagogue that inspires strong identify and links with Jewish history and the larger Jewish community.
We shall encourage family literacy, a spirit of menshlichkeit, and a passionate sense of belonging which stimulates the great potential for vibrancy and meaning that are at the core of our faith.
Rabbi Michaleski has served as rabbi at Beth Israel Congregation since June 2018. She has brought her joyful and creative approach to Judaism into her services and teaching, as well as into the Vineland Jewish community.
Rabbi Michaleski received ordination in 2015 from ALEPH: The Alliance for Jewish Renewal, previously earning a master’s degree in Jewish Studies from Gratz College and a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from Rutgers University. Prior to ordination she had worked as a Jewish Communal Professional in the South Jersey area since 1998 while serving as the spiritual leader of Temple Beth El in Hammonton for 14 years. She is also a Licensed Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LCADC) specializing in the treatment of Substance Use Disorders for over 30 years.
Her long-term desire to integrate Judaism, healing and wellness led her to co-found RAPHA—The Center for Healing and Spirituality—in 2018.
Since coming to Vineland, she has become an active member of the Chevra Kadisha (Sacred Society), helping to expand its ability to address end of life issues in the South Jersey Jewish community. She is a member of the Association of Rabbis and Cantors for Jewish Renewal (OHALAH), T’ruah, The Rabbinic Call for Human Rights, the Cumberland County Mental Health and Addictions Board and the National Association of Addiction Professionals. A former member of the Hammonton Ministerium and the Vineland Ministerial Fellowship, she hopes to continue building bridges between communities with a newly-forming Inter-faith group of South Jersey progressive clergy.
We invite you to go through 60 years of history
A Synagogue... A Community... A Family
A Pictorial History of Beth Israel Congregation
For those of you who are interested in walking down memory lane, we have our book available for purchase. If interested please call the office at 856-691-0852